snooty adj : used colloquially of one who is overly conceited or arrogant; "a snotty little scion of a degenerate family"-Laurent Le Sage; "they're snobs--stuck-up and uppity and persnickety" [syn: bigheaded, persnickety, snot-nosed, snotty, stuck-up, too big for one's breeches, uppish] [also: snootiest, snootier]
- /"snuːti/, /"snu:ti/
- pompous; snobbish; inclined to turn
up one's nose
- Sir Sydney was an arrogant, snooty, biggoted prig, so it was
with some satisfaction that I wrote out his parking ticket.
- Sissi was a very snooty and spoiled girl with clear social problems.
- Sir Sydney was an arrogant, snooty, biggoted prig, so it was with some satisfaction that I wrote out his parking ticket.
- elite; exclusive
- Her parties were snooty affairs; custom designed cocktail dresses that cost more than a decent luxury car were de rigueur.
- Spanish: presuntuoso
- "Snooty" is also an adjective for one who is a snob.
Snooty is a manatee that resides at the South Florida Museum's Parker Manatee Aquarium in Bradenton, Florida. Born at the Miami Aquarium and Tackle Company on July 21, 1948, Snooty is the oldest manatee in captivity, and likely the oldest manatee in the world. Baby Snoots, as he was first called, was brought to the Museum for the 1949 De Soto Heritage Festival.
In 1976, there was apparently a minor incident with Snooty where a tourist accidentally lodged an apple chunk in his nostril. The chunk of apple was apparently removed without incident.
Since 1998, Snooty has shared his aquarium with a number of young manatee pool mates who were being cared for pending return to the wild.
Unlike many of his fellow manatees, Snooty does not enjoy water hyacinths, preferring romaine lettuce and fruit.
Snooty's birthday is a popular annual event for the museum.
In 2008 Snooty was honored with a full chapter in the Globe Pequot (www.globepequot.com) book FLORIDA's FAMOUS ANIMALS. Snooty is also featured in a beautiful color photo on the back book cover.